Salted Chocolate Caramel Tart with Almond Macaroon Crust
For the crust:
- 2 cups almond meal ( I get it at Trader Joe’s but you can grind your own)
- ¾ cup sugar
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg white
For the caramel:
- 1 cup sugar
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 6 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon salt
For the chocolate:
- 6 ounces bittersweet chocolate
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Pinch of salt
- Flaky sea salt for sprinkling on top
To make the crust:
- Preheat oven to 425° F. Generously butter a 9-inch tart pan and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the almond meal, sugar, vanilla, and egg white.
- Spoon it into the prepared pan and gently press it into the bottom and up the sides. Bake for 10 minutes and let cool on a rack. While crust is cooling, make the caramel.
To make the caramel:
- In a medium-sized saucepan, heat the sugar on medium-high heat. Stir constantly with a heat-proof rubber spatula until the sugar melts. Caution: melted sugar is very hot! Once you have started to melt the sugar do not stick your finger in or lick the spoon to taste—you will get burned!
- Heat the sugar until it turns a golden caramel color. If you have an insta-read or candy thermometer it will be ready at 350F. If you don’t have one, just go by the color. But be careful—the caramel will go past that point very quickly and burn fast. Remove it from the heat as soon as it turns to caramel—it will continue to cook even after removed from the heat.
- Add the butter and whisk until butter is fully incorporated. The caramel may bubble up as you to do this.
- Add the cream and whisk until the caramel becomes smooth. Add the vanilla and salt and whisk again.
- Let cool slightly and pour into the macaroon crust to completely coat the bottom. Now you are ready to make the chocolate glaze.
To make the chocolate glaze:
- Put all chocolate glaze ingredients into a bowl and microwave for one minute. Let stand for a minute or two and then stir until smooth.
- Pour the chocolate glaze over the caramel filling and lightly sprinkle with flaky sea salt. Let chill in the fridge until firm about two hours, but take out and leave at room temperature after that.