Baby, its cold outside and winter lethargy has set in. You need something hot and you need it right now.
OK, well in reality, it is December and freakishly warm where I live. And although it has been 70 degrees for the last few days, my body knows it is soup season.
This will never replace your mom’s chicken soup recipe, which of course is the best. But it is better than anything canned, packaged, or processed. It is simple and honest and easy and fast. And you probably already have everything in the house.
I am a big fan of slaving away over a hot stove any day of the week. I love wielding knives, mixing, measuring, mashing, stirring, kneading, etc. But this is not that recipe.
All you do is throw a few things in a bowl, stick it in the microwave, and walk away. Of course you can go back and sit on the couch, or in front of the fireplace, the TV, the wall, or whatever you like to stare at. When your work is done, you will be rewarded with a hot bowl of chicken noodle soup.
Quick Chicken Noodle
- 1 medium carrot, sliced thin
- 1 stalk of celery, sliced thin
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme, crushed up a little
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 chicken flavored bouillon cubes and 4 1/2 cups water (or you can use 4 cups broth and ½ cup water)
- 1 generous cup fine egg noodles, slightly broken up
1. In a large microwave-safe bowl, place all of the ingredients.
2. Cover and cook the soup in the microwave for 15 minutes. Let cool for 5 minutes.
3. Ladle the soup into 4 bowls and serve with crackers, if desired.